Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bare Necessities



Last week I was babysitting and the kids decided to watch The Jungle Book. This had always been a favorite of mine when i was little so I watched it with them. We got to the part where Baloo the Bear tells Mowgli about the "Bare Necessities" and something occurred to me.


Right now you are probably thinking, "She got an inspiration from a cartoon? Seriously?" Well, in a way, you are right. Previously, that entire day I had been thinking a lot on things that don't really matter, such as computers, music, gadgets, technology, my ipod, the newest wii game. The list goes on and on. I pondered on it for a while, but then as the day went on I dismissed the thought from my mind. That evening as I sat there watching The Jungle book and I heard Baloo say the words " And don't spend you time lookin' around for something you want that can't be found, When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true, the bare necessities of life will come to you."


It was funny, because I wasn't really paying much attention the movie, but these words just sort of shot out at me. What can I live without? Can I live without my ipod? Can I live without the newest style of shoes that everyone is buying? As I drove home from babysitting I started thinking more and more about it. How important are things to me? Am I putting the petty little toys in life before Jesus? This was a sobering thought, because I knew that in many cases it was true.


Right there driving home I decided that I'd better rethink my priorities. How much time was I spending on the computer? Was I listening to my ipod longer than i was spending time with Jesus my Saviour? The thought made me ashamed. I decided that little by little I would cut out different things in my life that distract me from my goal, which is living a life fully sold out to the Lord Jesus. Although many of the things that I thought of aren't necessarily wrong, they do hinder my time with the Lord. I have already found out that not listening to quite so much music makes my brain clearer, it seems like I can take in information and comprehend more. Even though this thought started from a silly cartoon, God used it in my life, and I am grateful. I want to live everyday like it was my last, not having to regret wasting time on the computer, or whatever it may be, when I could have been sharing the Love of Christ to those around me.


So I ask you, Do you have hindrances in your life? I am sure you do, everyone does. What are some things in your life that you can live without? How are some ways that you can spend more time with Christ and sharing His love? At first it may seem like it is miserable and you can't do it. But if you keep your thoughts focused on God, He will be your light, and all other things will fade away into the distance. Give it a try! It can't hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Beka! Great post... Hey I used to watch that movie all the time! I love Baloo=) Thanks for those probing questions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beka, That was an amazing post...thanks for the reminder, and for challenging us to be aware of our priorities. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete